Practical information


The electricity supply to apartments at Canary Riverside is part of a local ‘Building Network Operator’ (BNO) distribution network. The building manager (currently HML) is responsible for placing a contract to buy the supply of (high-voltage) electricity into the Estate and ensuring the subsequent distribution of the low-voltage supply to sub-meters throughout the apartments, commercial and common areas.

Electricity is billed by HML quarterly in arrears, with demands supported by a statement of usage based on metered readings. If a meter is defective the bill is calculated using the average consumption of comparable sized apartments.

Electricity meters are currently being replaced by way of a rolling programme on an 'as-needed’ basis.    

Location: The electricity meters, electrical distribution board and circuit breakers can be found in a metal cabinet usually located in a hall cupboard. There is a master switch that controls the mains electricity supply to your apartment and individually numbered circuit breakers for each electrical circuit.   Inside the door of the cabinet you should find a one-page distribution board schedule that details what each circuit breaker is used for.  You should check for a tripped circuit breaker in the event that an electrical appliance fails to work.   

NB: Residents should always seek advice from a qualified electrician in the event of electrical problems. Please see the residents’ recommendations page for recommended electricians.

Important: any physical changes to the electrical circuit in your apartment must be approved by the managing agent prior to the works commencing, and must adhere to all relevant regulations and legislation.  

How to monitor your electricity consumption

We recommend the use of an energy monitor which display the same kind of data that ‘smart meters’ provide, enabling you to see real-time electricity consumption and monitor daily usage.

Two such monitors are the Owl and the Geo Minim. Our meters are single phase but dual feed, and you may therefore need two sensors to clamp around the live feed wires.

The monitors are particularly useful when it comes to diagnosing issues with the FCU heating, ie, to determine whether your heating elements are working as expected (ie. there is an increase in energy consumption roughly equal to the heating elements, eg 3kW, 5kW etc)

Electricity consumption in vacant apartments

Please note that even when residents are away from home there is likely to be a certain level of background electricity consumption (unless the master switch has been set to 'off').  The most significant usage will be the trace heating (see hot water) which uses electrical tape to keep the water in the hot water pipes at a constant 60C.  In addition, fridges and freezers, appliances on standby (eg, modems, TV and satellite units etc), lights and anything else plugged in and switched on will use electricity.  In order to avoid such costs when away from your apartment for any length of time you may consider switching off either individual circuit breakers or the mains switch.  

Reading your electricity meter

If you have an original electricity meter set-up there will be two meters in your cabinet*: a 'mains-talk' meter, and a slave meter.  You can ignore the slave meter for the purpose of meter reading.  To take a reading from the 'mains talk' electricity meter you need to:

  • press the red button located on the meter until you see R1#####: make a note of the reading;

  • continue pressing the button until you see R4#####: make a note of the R4 reading*.

R4 meter reading = FCUs (heating/cooling), heated bathroom floor and heated towel rails

R1 meter reading = everything else (including skirting heating)

To calculate your electricity consumption you will also need to have your previous reading.  This should be shown on your last bill from HML.    

Deduct the previous meter reading from your current reading to calculate your consumption. Add the R1 and R4* usage together to get your total electricity consumption. 

NB: there may be a perspex panel in front of the meters: in order to take your readings you will need to unscrew the plastic screws and remove this panel.  

*NB: One-bedrom apartments may only have one meter.  

S20/S20ZA meter replacement : In June 2016 the landlord (CREM) notified lessees that it intended to replace all of the residential electrical meters by way of a 'Section 20 notice'.  In October 2016 the Tribunal-appointed manager took over management responsibility and applied to the First Tier Tribunal to install replacement electricity meters on a 10-year rental contract. The Tribunal's directions and further information on the manager's proposals can be found here.  On May 29th the manager notified lessees that the S20ZA application was being withdrawn.   Meters are being replaced on a rolling-basis.