Practical information

Practical information for Canary Riverside residents

We have compiled a list of topics that residents living in Canary Riverside regularly seek advice on.  If you have a question or require information regarding your apartment/the estate that you cannot find in these pages please contact us at

We will endeavour to find the answer/refer you to someone we think might be able to help, and update the website accordingly. 

Important notice

Per the Lease, physical changes to the structure of your apartment, such as the replacement of heating systems, electrical circuits and floors or alterations that affect internal structures including ceilings must be approved prior to the works commencing.  See Alterations.  All works must comply with required building and fire regulations. 

Access Cards  

Residents gain entry to the estate grounds and their residential building by way of an access card.  Visitors without an access card can gain access using the buzzer by the main gate and then the entry phone system located at the entrance of each residential building.

Each apartment is issued a minimum of two access cards.  A separate access card is provided for each parking space owned: as well as allowing entry to/exit from the car park the card provides entry to your residential building. 

Each card has its own discrete identity number (T reference number), enabling it to be disabled in the event of loss or theft.  Please notify the security office immediately if you lose an access card.  Cancelled cards can be reprogrammed if found later.

New access cards may be purchased for £15.60 (£13 + VAT).  If you wish to order additional or replacement access card(s) please contact Keely Skelson:

New cards can only be issued to the owner: if an owner wishes to authorise their Tenant to order new/replacement cards they must provide Parkgate Aspen with written permission first.  The tenant will also need to quote the relevant T reference number.   

All cards are issued/programmed on site and may be collected from the Security Office or your Concierge once confirmation of payment has been received.  This may take 1-2 working days.  

Please note that additional cards cannot be provided for parking spaces. 

Alterations to your apartment  

As per the lease any physical changes to the structure of your apartment require prior approval and permission from CREM (the landlord).  

Some alterations which may seem minor might in fact seriously affect the structural performance of the building including fire safety and the spread of fire.  

For more information on how to apply for permission to proceed please email Jonny Wesirose at Parkgate Aspen: 

You will need to ensure that your project programme provides time to allow for your plans to be reviewed and approved prior to the works commencing. 

Physical changes include altering the layout, removal of any internal walls, replacement of water pipes, heating systems and electrical circuits as well as the re-laying of flooring.

New flooring requires approved sound deadening underlay in order to insulate against the transmission of noise - a particularly important requirement for residential buildings. This does not apply to merely renewing carpeting.  

Remember to make arrangements with your Concierge for contractor access and parking, and to advise your contractor that they must use the goods lift.  Loan of a lift hold key is available from your Concierge.

Noise abatement

Noise from apartment alterations is only permitted between the hours of 9am to 1pm and 2pm to 5pm Monday to Friday and between 9am and 12 pm on Saturdays.  Please be a considerate neighbour.  Notify your neighbours of your plans and please keep excessive noise to a few scheduled hours.  Please also ensure that your contractors clean up after themselves in the lobby, lift and car park areas.  

Balconies and terraces

Canary Riverside is an upmarket, prestige estate.  Residents can help ensure it presents a neat external appearance by adhering to the lease/estate regulations and not hanging or displaying items such as clothing, linen carpets, not storing bulky items such as prams or bicycles on their balconies. Residents must also be aware of the risk of unsecured items being dislodged in high winds, including seat cushions, and either remove these from the balcony when not in use or ensure they are properly secured to prevent the possibility of any injury or damage  occurring.  During high winds an unsecured balcony table smashed into a window at Berkeley Tower before falling several floors to the ground, and many other items fell from balconies.  Even a small item falling from a high floor could be lethal.    

It may seem obvious but… on no account should cigarettes, lit or otherwise, or any other items be discarded from balconies or windows. 

Hanging fixtures from external balcony ceilings is not allowed as puncturing the external finish will allow air and moisture into the building fabric.  Care should be taken when hanging fixtures to external walls facing onto balconies.  Fixings to take the weight of, for example, hanging baskets, should be of the resin fixing type.  This involves securing the fixing into a carefully drilled hole with resin cement.  NB: The  expanding fixing type should not be used.  This is due to the facing bricks having hollow cavities that will collapse under the loads applied by expanding fixings.

The balcony floor and balustrade is constructed from Iroko plank flooring.   


Barbecues are a fire risk and are not permitted on balconies, terraces or anywhere within the estate grounds - and are also prohibited in all Tower Hamlets' parks and green spaces.  



The standard Canary Riverside bathrooms are tiled with a 'terrazzo' tile - i.e., made from marble chops and chemical binder.  A good match recommended by residents is 'cappuccino premium polished' marble, e.g., as supplied by MGA Tiles.   

Taps and shower mixer

The standard taps were made by Grohe.  Although hot water is softened, cold water isn't, which means that the filters on the spout of the taps are liable to become clogged with limescale deposits over time, and this will impede the water flow.  The end of the tap contains a mesh filter: this should be periodically removed and cleaned.  

Over time the thermostat in the shower mixer (walk-in shower) may fail, causing the water temperature to fluctuate.  The replacement unit is the Grotherm 2000 NEW.  Check our recommendations page for details of a plumber.  If you would like to try yourself, here's one resident's account of their DIY-intstallation: 

"Fitting was a doddle: turn off the water supply (see here).  Uncouple the existing unit from the wall - two 30mm nuts.  Fix the new unit (a low profile ie, thin, spanner is required.  Neither the pressure valve nor thermostat should require adjustment.  Turn the water supply back on and voila.  There is a Grohe clip-on shelf or 'rack' for the mixer which fills at the space between the mixer and the wall, which can be obtained from Grohe".  

Toilet overflow

The toilet in the master en-suite overflows into the walk-in shower.  If you notice water running into the shower please check the cistern, which is concealed beneath the marble shelf behind the toilet.  

Extractor fan

A resident advises:

If residents were to unscrew the ceiling cowls in their bathrooms/toilets they will probably find a treasure trove of accumulated dust and fluff. This accumulation can easily be removed - and should be - with the hose of a vacuum cleaner.

Should an extractor fan fail it is most likely a small electronic bit called a ‘starter capacitor’ causing the problem: "CAPACITOR, 2UF, 450VAC, LEAD By DUCATI. Replacement units can be purchased on Amazon.

Flats' internal fans have a timer which is turned on by the associated bathroom/toilet light. The timer should be set to run on for a reasonable time after the bathroom/toilet light light has been turned off. If not working properly the timer may need to be reset or replaced ”


There are two bicycle storage areas in the P1 level car park: one located between Berkeley Tower and Hanover House entrances, and the other near the entrance to Eaton House.  The bicycle areas are secured with mechanical combination locks: the code will be given to you when you register your bike.  All stored bikes must be registered and display their registration sticker: please contact Keely Skelson if you wish to register a bike:

When moving out of Canary Riverside please remember to take your bicycles with you, or donate them to a good cause.  Periodic reviews of the storage areas will be undertaken, which may result in unregistered or unclaimed bikes being removed and disposed of.   

Residents are strongly advised to secure their bicycles with an appropriate device.  The Landlord/Parkgate Aspen accepts no responsibility for bicycles left in the storage areas. 


The residential apartment buildings are wired throughout for superfast fibre broadband (known as fttp: fibre to the premises) which enables you to contract with BT or other providers for speeds up to 300Mbps.  Regular broadband ('copper wire') is also available.  

To have fibre installed in your apartment you will need to contact a service provider such as BT and arrange for your apartment to be connected. This requires a fibre terminal to be 'hard-wired' into your apartment, to which your modem will be connected.   

Problems with getting fibre (BT Infinity) installed

Occasionally residents may find that BT (or another provider) advises them that fibre broadband is not available to them.  There have been a number of reasons for this, including errors in BT's database or capacity at cabinet level (in the street) having reached capacity.  If you experience this problem please contact RACR. 

Bulk rubbish removal

Cardboard and Smaller Items

Cardboard boxes (which should first be flattened) and items no larger than a bedside table should be taken to the pick-up area on P1 for disposal.  This area is located close to the lift lobby doors, and can be identified by the pink plastic recycling bags that your cleaner will have placed there for collection.  If in doubt, please contact your concierge. Please do not leave such items in the chute room as they represent a fire hazard. 

Bulky Items

Non-standard items (i.e., those which the council would not normally collect during their weekly domestic refuse collection) should not be left in chute rooms or on P1.    

  • Tower Hamlets Recycling Centre - You can take items directly to your local Tower Hamlets Recycling Centre, which is situated a few minutes' drive away on Yabsley Street, London, E14 9RG. Take along proof to show you are a Tower Hamlets resident such as a driver’s licence or council taxbill.

  • Tower Hamlets collection service - Tower Hamlets council offers two free collection services per year for local residents. To arrange a special collection, please call 020 7364 5004. The item(s) must be taken to the loading bay prior to the arranged collection time. NB: DIY waste will not be collected.

  • Unwanted furniture in good condition Homestore will collect unwanted items of furniture* free of charge and provide it to those in need. Contact them on 020 8519 6264 or visit . The item(s) must be taken to the loading bay prior to the arranged collection time.

  • DIY & Building Waste – If you or your contractor are unable to dispose of such waste you should contact a specialist to arrange removal.

Car Park

The Canary Riverside car park has approximately 500 spaces all situated on the underground levels P2 and P1, of which the majority are owned by Canary Riverside residents.  There is provision for the Hotel valet parking and the remaining spaces, all situated on level P2 of the car park, are available for public use by way of 'pay and display':

The main vehicular access to Canary Riverside is via the lower level of Westferry Circus, called Westferry Road, into the Canary Riverside car park.  The maximum height of a vehicle that can enter the car park is 3.275 metres, which applies to the van route and delivery bays situated on level P2.  Delivery vehicles exceeding this height must use the Loading Bay.  The general clearance height for the car park is 2.275 metres, however  there are areas with a maximum clearance of 2.025 metres.

Car park entry and exit system

  • The car park has two entry lanes and one exit lane. Entry is controlled by a barrier system that functions by either passing a valid proximity card in front of the reader or by taking a ticket. Existing the car park is either again with a valid proximity card or by inserting a paid ticket. Payment is carried out at one of the two pay on foot machines prior to returning to the vehicle. Proximity cards are valid for the car park if a private car park space is owned.

  • Proximity cards record both entry and exit into the car park and only work if the process is carried out in the correct order. A card must exit the system before re-entering is allowed. Access will be denied if the proximity card is not programmed to activate the barrier. All barriers are cited with 2-way communication so the car park security officer can help if required.

  • In the case of a forgotten or misplaced proximity card the car park security officer will confirm the validity of the person by using the access control system. In the case of uncertainty the person will have to take a ticket and proceed in the same way as a public user.

  • In the case of a lost car park ticket the person will be charged for a full day's parking at the car park booth.

Residents and guests of the Circus Apartments with private parking spaces

  • On entering the car park, waving the proximity card at the barrier reader enables the barrier to be lifted and the resident can progress to their allotted space.

  • If the space is located on P1 the proximity card will permit access through the barrier situated at the bottom of the ramp directly in front of the main entrance, enabling the resident to drive up the ramp to their parking space.

  • If the space is on P2 the resident will drive round to the relevant area. There are two residential parking areas on P2, both of which are barrier-controlled and accessed by proximity cards.

  • Residents are permitted to allow their guests and visitors to use their own private parking space. You will need to meet your visitor at the car park entrance in order to use your car park access card to let the visitor in and out. You must not allow your visitor to park anywhere other than your own demised parking space (unless they are using the pay and display public car park - see below).

  • The Circus Apartments have designated spaces on P1, which are clearly marked.


  • Your visitors can use either your own demised parking space (see above) or the public parking area of the Canary Riverside car park, collecting a ticket on entry, displaying it on their dashboard, and paying prior to leaving. Please give your visitor directions on where to find your building's entry door in the car park.

  • The visitor should call your apartment number using the electronic key pad outside the relevant lift lobby on P2. If a resident is unavailable the visitor can call the concierge (using the 'D' button) who will advise and permit access to the ground floor lobby area if appropriate. Between 7pm and 7am assistance is from the security room via the 'D' button. During these times if residents are not available, access to the residential lobby will not be given unless prior arrangements have been given to security. This ensures security is not compromised in the absence of the concierge.


The concierges provide the first point of contact for residents, visitors and residential deliveries.  Each building has a team of two concierges working an alternate four-day shift.   Their hours are Monday to Sunday, 7:00am to 7pm.    Your concierge can be contacted through your entry phone, by telephone and by email. 

Berkeley Tower:  Sean and Margaret

Tel: 020 7516 0104     Email:

Hanover House:  Martin and Richard

Tel: 020 7516 0102 Email:

Eaton House:  James and Steve

Tel: 020 7516 0105 Email:

Belgrave Court:  Mark and Clive

Tel: 020 7516 0106 Email:

Concierge duties include: 

  • Answering residents’ and visitors’ queries;

  • Receiving small parcels/signed-for items on behalf of residents. NB: if you are expecting a large/non-standard delivery please notify your concierge and ensure arrangements are in place for it to be delivered directly to your apartment, using the key waiver if necessary. There is no secure storage available for large items an date concierge will not be able to take delivery unless the resident has made the necessary arrangements;

  • Security in the residential buildings;

  • Supervising contractors on behalf of the managing agent;

  • Loaning residents or their contractors a ‘lift hold key’, enabling the goods lift doors to be kept open so as to facilitate the loading/unloading of large deliveries;

  • Monitoring repair requirements for common parts;

  • Logging registered mail and deliveries, and gaining the resident’s signature when the item is collected;

  • Managing key waiver permits (whereby an apartment key left with the concierge can be released to individuals and contractors pre-authorised by the resident);

  • Directing residents to the relevant estate office staff member for any queries;

  • Receiving dry cleaning on behalf of residents;

  • Accepting chilled/frozen goods - only when a key has been left with the concierge and authority given by the resident to allow them to take your goods directly to your apartment for storage.

Each concierge will take two short breaks and a lunch break, and may at other times be away from their desks while they perform building checks, attend to deliveries etc.  During such times their telephones will be forwarded to another concierge or to the security office.   Break times are staggered to enable the Hanover House concierge to cover the appropriate desk during the break.  When the Hanover House concierge is covering another building, the point of contact for Hanover House residents and visitors will be the Berkeley Tower concierge. 


Please note that at present security are unable to take delivery of items outside of the concierge working hours.  


Should you employ contractors you are liable to ensure that the contractor is properly qualified and insured.  Please keep in mind that by inviting workmen onto the estate you become responsible for their actions, and any damage that may accidentally arise.

Please consider your neighbours when undertaking noisy works within your apartment, and give immediate neighbours (i.e., on your floor and the floor immediately above/below) and the concierge notice that noisy works will be taking place.  This will enable them to reschedule their plans if necessary (e.g., not work from home that day).  

Noise from drilling/banging/sanding etc can reverberate through the ducting and affect a large number of apartments.  It's helpful to ensure your concierge knows of your plans, to enable them to advise residents what the noise is and how long it is expected to last.    

Noise from apartment alterations is only permitted between the hours of 9am to 1pm and 2pm to 5pm Monday to Friday and between 9am and 12 pm on Saturdays. 

Please insure that your contractors protect the common areas and that they do not block access or leave debris in lobbies, lifts and car park areas, all of which may pose a fire risk/hazard.   All waste must be removed from the site and common areas/lifts left clean. 

Remember to make arrangements with your concierge for contractor access and any need for a lift key, and please keep them informed of your plans.

Cooling (air conditioning) 

'Comfort cooling' is provided to apartments by way of cooled air through the fan units (FCUs) when temperature controls are set to cooling (e.g. on the Baxi unit the temperature dial is set to the left of centre).

The running costs of providing a chilled water supply to apartments is included in the annual service charge.  When using the cooling, residents directly incur only the cost of running the fan (typically <250 watts per FCU per hour).    

The cooling is turned off in the colder months (approx. mid-October to mid-April), when demand on the system is minimal.  

Before using your cooling you must ensure the filters on the FCUs have been cleaned within the past six months.  The FCUs need to be regularly maintained, including cleaning filters and ensuring that the drainage channel is not blocked:

  • A dirty filter will restrict the air flow over the chiller coils, which may cause them to frost over and cause water leakage.

  • A significant volume of condensation is produced when an FCU is being used for cooling, and this needs to drain away. A dirty condensate tray or drain will restrict the drainage and cause water leakage.

  • Any gaps/tears in the insulation around the chilled water pipes will result in condensation forming - please ensure that the insulation is properly secured and maintained.

The wire mesh filter can be vacuumed in situ, or removed for a more thorough clean. Ensure it is properly replaced.  

filters awaiting cleaning

filters awaiting cleaning

Please see the section on FCUs to see common problems with the units.  If your FCU fan is running okay but the cooling is not working:

  1. Check that the chilled water supply is turned on in your apartment.

  2. Check that the dial on the Baxi controller is turned towards the left of centre.

  3. Ensure that the filter has been cleaned in the past six months.

Technical details of the FCU including maintenance can be found here.  

The chiller units are located in the basements of Hanover House (serving Hanover and Berkeley) and Belgrave Court (serving Belgrave, Eaton and Circus).  

Deliveries via the Loading Bay

Deliveries/moves using a vehicle exceeding 3.275 metres in height must be made via the loading bay, which is situated on the northbound Westferry Road immediately prior to the Limehouse link turn-off.  

The loading bay is open 8am to 7pm, seven days a week.  It has six individual loading docks.  All deliveries through the loading bay must be prior booked through your concierge. This ensures someone will be available to direct the delivery to your apartment and control the lift if required.  

Access from the loading bay to the residential buildings is via the loading bay lift, which is located at the Hotel side of the P1 car park.  The delivery then needs to be transported across the P1 car park to the relevant residential building lift entrance. 

If you are anticipating a delivery please familiarise yourself with the loading bay and its location relevant to your apartment building. Please also advise your delivery company/removal firm that they will need suitable equipment to enable heavy or bulky goods to be transported across the car park area to the lift lobby.  If assistance is required to direct a delivery please liaise with your concierge who will contact the security office.  Please note, Canary Riverside staff are unable to help load or unload deliveries. 

Deliveries via the car park

There are four van bays located on level P2 of the car park that should be used for all delivery vehicles not exceeding 3.275 metres in height. 

Please keep any large deliveries/loading to between the hours of 6am to 9pm to minimise disturbance to other residents.

Use of the van bays is free for a maximum of 20 minutes.  The driver should present the entry ticket to the security officer located by the car park exit barrier.   If a delivery exceeds 20 minutes, the relevant parking tariff will apply, and the driver must pay using one of the ticket machines before proceeding to the exit barrier.  

Please ensure your delivery company uses the goods lift for all deliveries.  If a delivery/move will require lengthy loading/unloading of the goods lift it is advisable to contact your concierge in order to borrow the 'goods lift hold key’.  This enables the lift door to be held open, without putting any strain on the lift door mechanism.   The key must be returned to the concierge immediately after use.

Door entry intercom system

Each apartment has a video entry handset located by the front door, which enables you to let your visitors/deliveries into the building.  It also enables you to contact the concierge.

Belgrave Court, Eaton House and Berkeley Tower: these buildings have the original video entry handsets, made by bpt.  

  • When a visitor buzzes your apartment, lift the receiver to talk to them. To let them in to the building, press the key button. Once you have pressed the button, audio and visual contact is lost: remember to tell them which floor you are on before pressing the button.

  • To speak to the concierge, press either of the buttons marked by one or two dots and wait.

Hanover House: this building has the new handset installed.   An instruction manual can be found here.  Residents are able to select different alert tones and also alter the volume.  


The electricity supply to apartments at Canary Riverside is part of a local ‘Building Network Operator’ (BNO) distribution network. The building manager is responsible for placing a contract to buy the supply of (high-voltage) electricity into the Estate and ensuring the subsequent distribution of the low-voltage supply to sub-meters throughout the apartments, commercial and common areas.

Mr Unsdorfer has appointed Clever Energy to undertake energy billing from 1st October 2019. Clever Energy are currently uploading the account status and information provided by HML, the previous manager, and statements will be issued to reconcile the on-account quarterly charge billed by HML in respect of July-September 2019.

Clever Energy’s contact details are:

Electricity is billed quarterly in arrears, with demands supported by a statement of usage based on metered readings. If a meter is defective the bill is calculated using the average consumption of comparable sized apartments.   

The electricity meters, electrical distribution board and circuit breakers can be found in a metal cabinet usually located in a hall cupboard. There is a master switch that controls the mains electricity supply to your apartment and individually numbered circuit breakers for each electrical circuit.   Inside the door of the cabinet you should find a one-page distribution board schedule that details what each circuit breaker is used for.  You should check for a tripped circuit breaker in the event that an electrical appliance fails to work.   

NB: Residents should always seek advice from a qualified electrician in the event of electrical problems. Please see the residents’ recommendations page for recommended electricians.

Important: any physical changes to the electrical circuit in your apartment must be approved by the managing agent prior to the works commencing, and must adhere to all relevant regulations and legislation.  

How to monitor your electricity consumption

We recommend the use of an energy monitor which display the same kind of data that ‘smart meters’ provide, enabling you to see real-time electricity consumption and monitor daily usage.

Two such monitors are the Owl and the Geo Minim. Our meters are single phase but dual feed, and you may therefore need two sensors to clamp around the feed wires.

The monitors are particularly useful when it comes to diagnosing issues with the FCU heating, ie, to determine whether the heating elements are working as expected.

Electricity consumption in vacant apartments

Please note that even when residents are away from home there is likely to be a certain level of background electricity consumption (unless the master switch has been set to 'off').  The most significant usage will be the trace heating (see hot water) which uses electrical tape to keep the water in the hot water pipes at a constant 60C.  In addition, fridges and freezers, appliances on standby (eg, modems, TV and satellite units etc), lights and anything else plugged in and switched on will use electricity.  In order to avoid such costs when away from your apartment for any length of time you may consider switching off either individual circuit breakers or the mains switch.  

Reading your electricity meter

If you have an original electricity meter set-up there will be two meters in your cabinet*: a 'mains-talk' meter, and a slave meter.  You can ignore the slave meter for the purpose of meter reading.  To take a reading from the 'mains talk' electricity meter you need to:

  • press the red button located on the meter until you see R1#####: make a note of the reading;

  • continue pressing the button until you see R4#####: make a note of the R4 reading*.

R4 meter reading = FCUs (heating/cooling), heated bathroom floor and heated towel rails

R1 meter reading = everything else (including skirting heating)

To calculate your electricity consumption you will also need to have your previous reading.  This should be shown on your last bill from HML.    

Deduct the previous meter reading from your current reading to calculate your consumption. Add the R1 and R4* usage together to get your total electricity consumption. 

NB: there may be a perspex panel in front of the meters: in order to take your readings you will need to unscrew the plastic screws and remove this panel.  

*NB: One-bedrom apartments may only have one meter.  

FCU maintenance 

Filters waiting to be cleaned

Filters waiting to be cleaned

Technical information on the operation/maintenance of the  FCUs can be found here and wiring diagrams here.  These may be helpful to your maintenance technician.     

It is the resident’s responsibility to maintain their apartment's FCUs, and ensure that the filters are cleaned on a regular basis.  You can find the procedure for cleaning/replacing fan coil filters here.  They can be vacuumed in situ, or removed for a more thorough clean.  It is recommended that the filters be cleaned twice a year: do not use your cooling unless the filters have been cleaned within the past six months

Locating your FCUs and access

You can find out details on the location and size of the FCUs in your apartment by checking this spreadsheet, which was prepared by the company that supplied the FCUs when they were installed in 1999. This includes serial and model numbers: you may need to unhide the columns with this data. Unfortunately the spreadsheet does not include the penthouse apartments. 

The living room FCU(s) are usually located in the kitchen/breakfast area ceiling: they are accessed through the fire-resistant ceiling tiles (usually in blocks of six or eight: If you have two FCUs serving your living area there will be two lots of ceiling tiles).  Please see our guide on how to remove the ceiling tiles.    If they have been painted over and/or sealed with silicone, the tile edge may first need to be cut with a stanley knife/sharp blade in order to be able to remove the tile from its seating. The tiles are very fragile - be careful as you remove them. 

Unfortunately the ceiling panels in most kitchens are not positioned directly below the FCU, making access to the FCU very difficult - particularly if the bottom panel of the FCU needs to be removed, e.g., in order to replace a faulty differential pressure switch.  

The bedroom FCU(s) are accessible through drop-down ceiling access panels in the master bedroom and/or hallway.  NB: You will need a 'key' or flat-headed screwdriver to unlock the access panels.  Be careful as you lower them - they are very heavy as they have a fire-resistant lining.  

Common problems

  1. Ambient air is coming out of the vent instead of heated air. The most common reasons for this are a dirty filter (i.e., insufficient air circulation to allow the heating element to come on) or a failed differential pressure switch. A replacement dps costs <£40. Replacement requires the engineer to access the FCU by removing completely the bottom panel of the unit. This can be very difficult for FCUs located in the kitchens, as not all of the retaining screws are easily accessible, and the framework that supports the ceiling tiles further hinders access.

  2. Ambient air is coming out of the vent instead of cooled air. The damper that controls whether the air is being directed over the heating or the cooling coils has got stuck, and air is not being blown over the cooling coil.

  3. No air is coming out of the FCU. Check that the Hager unit is not switched off.

  4. The FCU appears to have a water leak. This could be caused by a blocked condensate tray, or a faulty valve.

    • When the cooling is running a significant volume of condensation is produced. If the drain from the tray is blocked, water cannot drain away.

    • Valves connecting the cooling coil to the child water supply may have eroded and require replacing.

  5. Very little air is being expelled through the FCU air vents.

    • Check that you have not blocked the inlet vents that provide the air supply to the FCUs

    • Check that the FCU filters are not blocked with dirt and dust. NB the filters are located on the FCU unit - they are not the ceiling vents.

Canary Riverside's bespoke system

Canary Riverside was built with a very unusual heating system. The cooling is provided by way of centrally generated chilled water, which is pumped through the residential buildings.  Ordinarily heating is provided the same way: centrally generated heated water being pumped through the buildings, passing through the FCUs.  

At Canary Riverside the heating is provided by electrical heating element(s) located within each FCU.  The FCU effectively acts as a large fan heater, blowing air over heating elements (2-3kW per fan unit) and out through the vents located just below ceiling level.  It is not particularly efficient,  and is expensive to run.  An apartment with two heating vents in the living room will use 5-6kW per hour.  The electric skirting heaters might use a further 2kw-4kW, and bedroom FCUs between 2kW-3kW per hour.  Putting the heating on throughout the apartment might use 5kW-7Kw in a one-bedroom flat and 16kW-20kW per hour in a 3-4 bedroom or penthouse apartment.    

Our FCUs are what are known as 'airside control' units.  Because of the inherent energy inefficiency of these units very few manufacturers still make them - Swegonair, the manufacturers of the original ActionAir units installed at Canary Riverside, now only make 'waterside control' FCUs, and it is unclear as to whether such units would work here.

Safety features

Numerous safety mechanisms are built in to the FCUs to prevent fires/spread of fumes in the event of a fire.  The heating element will only come on if there is sufficient air flow passing over them.  This is controlled by a differential pressure switch, which measures air pressure inside and outside of the FCU.  A faulty DPS will prevent the heating element from coming on, resulting in the FCU blowing out ambient air.   The DPS has a limited lifespan because the rubber diaphragm perishes over time.  

If a smoke alarm is activated in your apartment it will cause the FCU to switch off.  This is to prevent the spread of smoke/fumes, and/or turn off an overheating FCU. Smoke alarms are located in the ceiling voids next to the FCUs.   

Hager timer

A Hager timer unit that overrides the Baxi FCU control is located in the electrical distribution box (usually located in your hall cupboard).  You can find instructions for the unit here.   If the Hager unit is set to the 'O' position the FCUs will not run - even if the green light is on on the Baxi unit.  

Fire safety

Residents should ensure they are familiar with what to do in the event of a fire.

Unless the fire is in your flat or immediately outside the safest option is usually to remain in your apartment ('stay put'), rather than endanger yourself by entering a potentially smoke-filled environment.   


  • Do not stay to fight a fire unless you can extinguish it immediately.

  • Evacuate everyone in the flat.

  • Close all doors behind you and make your way out of the building.

  • Use the stairs, never the lift.

  • If there is a lot of smoke, crawl along the floor where the air will be clearer.

  • Call 999 as soon as you are able to do so, and notify security/the concierge of the situation.


  • The advice is 'stay put': stay in your home unless heat or smoke is affecting you, or if you feel safer exiting the building and it is safe to do so.

  • Call 999.

  • Close all windows and doors to restrict the spread of smoke.

  • Await further instructions from the London Fire Brigade.

  • If you become affected by heat or smoke, leave your flat as described above.

If you are in a communal part of the building and there is a fire, leave the building and call 999.  

Modern apartment blocks are constructed to minimise the spread of fire, and will typically provide 30-60 minutes protection from fire.  

Most  fires start in kitchens, and you may wish to keep a fire blanket or kitchen extinguisher nearby.  

In order not to compromise fire safety you must obtain approval for ANY alterations within your apartment.

Fire alarm

If smoke is detected in the lobbies or other communal areas the fire alarm will be triggered on the fire panel in the security control room.  Security will investigate and call the fire brigade if necessary.  *Please note, you will not hear a fire alarm in your building*  

Automatic smoke extraction will be also be triggered - you may see the doors to the ducts open in your floor's lift lobby - and automatic fire doors will close in the ground-floor lobbies.

It is generally only in extreme circumstances (e.g., an an out-of-control fire in your apartment) that you should consider evacuating the building if you have not been instructed to do so.   If you feel unsafe you should evacuate the building if it is safe to do so.    In the event of evacuating the building, remember to use the emergency stair wells (not the lift), and if safe to do so close all windows and doors before exiting your apartment.

Smoke detectors

Your apartment is fitted with mains powered smoke detectors, with battery back-up to ensure safe operation in the event of a power failure.  You should check your alarms work on a regular basis.  A battery requiring replacement will emit a regular 'chirruping' sound.   

In addition to the smoke detectors you can see in hallways and bedrooms, there are also smoke detectors located in ceiling voids connected to the FCUs (see Heating).  In the event that the smoke detector is triggered, a running FCU will automatically switch off to prevent it from dispersing smoke and fumes.  

Fire prevention 

Residents have an obligation as part of the Regulatory Reform (Fire Safety) Order 2005 to make sure they don't compromise the fire safety of the block for themselves and other users of the building.   To ensure this you must:

  • make sure that the smoke alarms in your home are working and regularly tested.

  • not overload electrical sockets, cover convector heaters or leave lit candles and heaters close to curtains and furniture.

  • not block fire escape routes or leave items in common hallways/lobby areas that could be trip hazards or impede exit in an emergency. This includes prams, toys and bicycles etc.

  • ensure that the main entry door of your flat complies with the requirement of BN EN 1634-1:2008, which are: 30-minute fire resistance; self-closing; intumescent strips; and cold smoke seals.

  • make sure fire doors in common areas self-close properly and are not wedged, tied or otherwise held open.

  • not smoke in communal areas of the building.

  • not inadvertently damage the building's fire protection when making changes to your flat. All structural/material alterations made to flats must be authorised by the managing agent.

  • not use radiant heaters with a flame, such as gas or paraffin, or electric-bar heaters.

  • not ever leave candles unattended and do not leave light-reflecting objects close to where they may catch the sun and cause a fire to start.

  • only use rooms for their intended purposes, such as sitting, eating and sleeping. Do not use them as store rooms or workshops.

  • not store highly flammable materials in your apartment, balcony, car park space or communal areas.

  • familiarise yourself with the fire action plan, what to do if you discover a fire, the quickest and safest escape route, and the location of the 'break glass' fire alarm panel in your lift lobby.

  • understand the importance of building security, making sure doors are closed behind you when you enter/leave, and be vigilant for deliberate fire setting.

  • ensure you do not block entrances/exits to allow access for emergency services at all times.

  • report essential repairs needed to fire safety measures in your flat or elsewhere within the block.

  • contact the concierge/security immediately if you see or hear of a fire in another part of the building. Remain in the safety of your own home and await the advice of the Fire Brigade.

The London Fire Brigade have produced a leaflet on fire safety.  

In the event of an evacuation of the building the fire assembly point is in the gardens in front of the gym buildings. 


The gardens are for the exclusive use of residents, their guests and guests of the hotel. It offers informal areas for relaxation and recreation, and benches are situated around the garden.  The estate regulations per the lease prohibit the following activities in the gardens:

  • the playing of games.

  • the exercise/walking of dogs.

  • smoking.

  • cutting or damaging shrubs and trees or picking any flowers.

  • barbecues.

Residents are kindly requested to keep noise to a minimum, and not to leave litter or other items in the gardens. 

Ground rent

A 'peppercorn rent' is payable - which means no ground rent is payable by leaseholders at Canary Riverside.  

See here for the (redacted) cover page from a Residential lease showing the peppercorn rent payable.  


Canary Riverside has electric heating: the cost of using your heating system will be reflected in your electricity bill (unlike the cooling system).

Heating is provided by way of FCUs (fan coil units) which contain electric heating elements and skirting heat-emitters.  [NB: Some apartments may have had alternative heating systems installed, eg electric underfloor heating.]  

Using your FCU heating

The FCUs effectively act as large fan heaters, blowing air over heating elements and out through the vent(s) located just below ceiling level.  The heating elements vary depending on the size of the room(s) being heated and are usually between 2-3kW per FCU. If you have two vents in a room (eg, in a large living room) two linked FCUs will be providing the heating.

To operate the heating:

  • Slide the switch on the Baxi controller to the ‘ON’ position. The green light should come on. If it doesn't, refer to the Hager timer section below.

  • Set the fan speed to low, medium or high. High provides a boost facility, useful when entering the apartment on a particularly hot or cool day. Medium is the normal operating speed, and low is useful when quiet operation is required

  • Set the temperature control dial to the right of centre (see photo below).

  • The heating elements will switch on 1-2 minutes after the fan has been running: this is due to a safety mechanism (a differential pressure switch) which ensures the heating elements only come on if there is sufficient airflow passing over the heating elements. Dirty/blocked FCU filters or a faulty DPS will prevent the heating elements from switching on.



A 3kW FCU will use three units of electricity per hour (plus c.150 watts to run the fan).  Please see this spreadsheet for details of the kW rating of the heating elements located within your apartment’s FCUs.  

If you have the dial set to a point just past the centre (as in the photo), the heating element(s) will switch off once a temperature of c.21C has been reached.  The FCU(s) will continue to circulate air, but it will be at the ambient temperature. Once the Baxi controller senses that the temperature has fallen below 21C, the heating elements will come back on until the desired temperature is reached.

It is advisable to set the Baxi controller just right of centre (per the photo), so that the heating elements in the FCUs will switch on and off depending on whether the temperature (at the Baxi controller) has reached c.21C. If you set the dial on the Baxi unit all the way round to the far right, the heating element(s) will remain on all the time that the Baxi control is on the 'on' position, regardless of the room temperature.

Other sources of electric heating in your apartment include bathroom heating: underfloor heating in the master bedroom ensuite, and heated towel rails in all bathrooms.   

More information about the FCUs can be found here.   

Skirting heat-emitting panels

Additional heating is provided by way of electrical skirting heat-emitting panels, located under windows and balcony doors within the apartment. All of the panels are controlled by one of your Baxi units - i.e., the skirting panels only come on when that specific Baxi unit is switched on to heating.  Each single panel contains a heating element of c.200w.  

The panels come on if the ambient temperature is lower than 21C, and then automatically switch off until the temperature drops and heating resumes.  

All of your apartment's skirting panels will come on when the relevant Baxi unit is set to heat (and the temperature is below 21C).  Each set of skirting panels has its own fuse spur (located close to the panels). See the photo on the left below.

fuse spur locatd near skirting heater

fuse spur locatd near skirting heater

switched fuse spur

switched fuse spur

If you wish to be able to control individual heating panels (eg, so that the panels in a specific room do not come on) this fuse spur can be replaced with a switched version (photo on the right) enabling you to have greater control over which panels come on when the Baxi unit controlling the panels is switched to heat.  

Hager timer

A Hager timer unit is located in the electrical distribution box located in a hall cupboard.  You can find instructions on how to use the timer here.   

NB: If you are manually controlling the heating/cooling via the Baxi controls only, the Hager unit needs to be set to manual override by pressing ‘I’ (on).  To prevent accidental use of the heating/cooling system, set the manual override in the ‘O’ (off) position.  If the Hager unit is switched to the 'O' position the FCUs will not run - even if the green light is visible on the Baxi unit.  

FCU maintenance 

It is the resident’s responsibility to maintain their apartment's FCUs, and ensure that the filters are cleaned on a regular basis.  Please see the FCU section for more information.  

Bathroom heating

The master bathroom has electric under-floor heating: the control is usually mounted at low level on the wall, either next to the toilet or adjacent to the bathroom entrance.  

All bathrooms have electric heated towel rails, with the on/off switch located in the bathroom under the sink unit, or in the mirrored cabinet. 

Holidays/extended absence

If you are likely to be away for an extended period please let your Concierge know, and ensure that you have provided contact details or a local contact in the event of any problems arising.  This is required for insurance purposes.  


If required, please make arrangements with your concierge regarding your post and deliveries in order to prevent your mailbox from overflowing.  A key waiver is required should you wish the Concierge to place items in your apartment. 

Water supply

If you intend to be away longer than 30 days you are advised to turn off the water supply to your apartment before leaving.  The levers to turn off the hot & cold and chilled water supplies can be found in the ceiling panel immediately outside your apartment front door.  

You might also wish to consider switching off the trace heating by turning off the relevant circuit breaker (see electricity). This stops hot water from being kept at a 'ready on demand' constant hot temperature in the pipes located within your apartment.

NB: you must ensure that, on your return that you turn your water supply and trace heating back on, and run the taps and shower for at least five minutes, to flush through any water that has been standing in pipes.  


If anyone else is likely to be using your apartment while you are away please let the Concierge know and arrange for your guests to let them know when they arrive and leave.  

Hot water

The supply of hot water to your apartment is included within the annual service charge bill.  

Hot water is provided by central boilers located in the basements of Belgrave (serving Belgrave, Eaton and Circus) and Hanover (serving Hanover and Berkeley).  

The system is 'non-circulatory' system as there is no return to the boilers. Hot water leaves the boilers and kept hot by insulated electrical tape ('trace heating') located on communal pipes and within apartments until it is demanded.  The trace heating ensures that near-instant hot water is always available on demand.  

The water is kept hot in the pipes leading to taps within your apartment by further electrical trace heating.  This ensures hot water is available almost immediately when a tap is turned on.  Residents  directly bear the cost of running the trace heating on pipes located within their apartment. 

The trace heating keeps the hot water temperature above that which legionella, a bacteria that can be especially dangerous to people with weakened immune systems, does not breed.    The non-circulatory status of the system does appear to create a risk that bacteria could build-up in an unoccupied apartment.  For this reason, if you intend to leave your apartment vacant for extended periods you should either arrange for someone to run your taps every two weeks or so, or alternatively, turn off the water supply to your apartment.  

Emergency shut-off

If you are leaving your apartment vacant for long periods (e.g., greater than three weeks) you should think about turning the hot water supply off.  The lever to turn off the hot water supply to your apartment can be found in the ceiling panel in the hallway immediately outside your front door.   It is marked 'HWS', with a red band on the label.  If you encounter difficulties or problems with the use of safe stepladders, speak to your concierge, who will be happy to assist by arranging for these stopcocks to be shut on your behalf.  Place ensure you make your request in good time, with clear indication of the date you are leaving.  You should also remember that these stopcocks would need to be turned back on when you return.  As is common practice in all homes, please remember to run your water (including showers) for five minutes, to clear any water that has been standing in your apartment or feeding pipework.  


The Landlord places the buildings insurance. A copy of the 2019/20 certificate can be found here, and a copy of the policy document here. The ‘reinstatement cost assessment’ report (2014) can be found here.

Building Insurance covers damage to the fabric of the building (including glass) and the structure of individual apartments and their individual fitted bathrooms and kitchens where an insured peril is met. Buildings insurance does not cover the costs of normal wear and tear.

An excess is applied to any claim made. This excess may vary depending upon the type of insurance claim. The current position, in the case of an escape of water, for example, is that the owner of the apartment from which the leak originated should meet the cost of any excess.  The 2019/20 excess payable in respect of escape of water is £1,000. 

For other types of claim, if there is no negligence involved the £350 excess is met through the service charge (per the RICS Code), otherwise it is met by the claimant.

Making a claim against the buildings insurance

Should you need to make a claim against the buildings insurance please contact Richard Hargreaves at Reich:

and copy your email to Jonny Weisrose:

Please download and complete the claim form to attach to your email.  Photos will always be required of the damage, together with details as to the cause of the damage and confirmation that the underlying issue has been resolved.  

The policy also covers 'trace and access', if required in order to locate the source of a leak from a concealed fixed pipe e.g. located behind walls or above a ceiling.  NB the cost of trace and access is only covered when there is a subsequent successful insurance. claim.

Should there be any damage to the contents within your apartment this will not be covered by the Building Insurance policy.  Residents must arrange their own independent Contents Insurance policy in order to recover the cost of repairs to/replacement of their personal possessions. 

Preventing water leaks

Water leaks are the most common cause of damage in apartment blocks and it is in the interest of all residents to minimise the risk of leaks occurring.  As well as the inconvenience and damage, frequent leaks will mean higher Building Insurance premiums and excesses.  

ARMA has produced a useful guidance note on how to prevent water leaks in your flat.  

You might also consider installing small water leak detector/alarms such as these to give you an early-warning of problems with in-built toilet cisterns, washing machines etc before serious damage occurs. 

Keys and key waiver form

Spare keys can be held by the Concierge on your behalf.  This allows family members, guests, cleaners, contractors or delivery companies to be given access to your apartment.   It also helps in the event of losing your keys. 

The key waiver procedure was reviewed and updated in 2018. 

This arrangement can also allow you to authorise the Concierge team to enter your apartment to deal with emergencies, which could help avoid the need for forced entry and the associated repair bills.   Separate permission can be given to the Concierge to request that post/packages is delivered into your apartment.  

Please ask your concierge for a Key Waiver form to complete.


The lease is the contract that sets out the rights, responsibilities and legal obligations of the residential apartment owner (aka Leaseholder/Lessee/Tenant) and the head lessor (Landlord).  Please see Residential Lease to view copies of a typical Canary Riverside residential lease together with the head lease and variation.  

Key points from the Lease which owners and residents should be aware of include: 

  • Not to do anything which is not consistent with Canary Riverside being a high class block of flats.

  • Not to under-let their apartment for periods of less than six months. Short stays such as AirBnB lettings are not allowed under any circumstances.

  • Not to separately under-let part of an apartment or the parking space separate from the apartment.

  • Registering within 28 days any under-letting, and produce the original or certified copy of the under-letting agreement, paying a reasonable registration fee as required.

  • Not to under-let for a period greater than three years unless a direct covenant to do so has been entered into with the Landlord.

  • Not allowing TV, radio, music (including musical instruments) to be heard from outside your apartment.

  • Not hanging or displaying clothes, line, carpets etc on the balcony or terrace.

  • Not keeping any animal unless permission to do so has first been gained.

  • Not permitting any noisy works to be carried out in the apartment except between the hours of 9am - 1pm and 2pm - 5pm Monday to Friday and 9am - 12pm on Saturdays.

  • Not permitting any act to the nuisance or damage of the building and common parts.

  • Not to leave prams, bicycles, toys or any articles in the lobby, common areas or stairwells.

  • Not to play ball games in common areas.

  • Not to make any unnecessary noise.

The estate regulations/lease restrictions are contained in the Third Schedule to the Lease.  

Buy-to-let owners: please ensure that your tenants are aware of the estate regulations.  


The principal Acts governing leasehold law are the Landlord and Tenant Acts of 1985 and 1987.  It is a complex branch of law.  Leaseholders can find advice and information from sources such as the Leasehold Advisory Service and the Leasehold Knowledge Partnership.  

The RICS Service Charge Residential Management Code is approved by the Secretary of State and is a good source of information regarding what statutory and best practice in the management of residential leasehold property.  

The Residents' Association is unable to provide advice to Leaseholders on leasehold matters.  

Letting your apartment

Under the terms of the underlease, leaseholders are allowed to underlet their apartments by way of an Assured Shorthold Tenancy agreement (AST).

Please refer to section 11 of your lease for information on underletting your apartment. In summary, the letting period must be for a minimum term of six-months, and for underlettings exceeding three years a direct covenant with the landlord is required prior to granting the underletting (para. 11.7).

Leaseholders must register the underletting/sub-tenancy with CREM (the landlord) within 28 days (para. 12). CREM will require the original or a certified copy of the AST, and will demand an administration fee (currently £95 + VAT) to register the underletting. CREM can be contacted at

For an underletting of more than three years a Deed of Covenant with the landlord is required. The Landlord’s fee for this is currently £100 + VAT. In addition, registration of the underletting within 28 days is also required, the fee for which is £95 + VAT.

Leaseholders must also notify the managing agent, Parkgate Aspen, of the sub-tenancy to ensure estate staff are aware of the names and contact details of the tenants.

Please note: a parking space, if assigned to an apartment, cannot be separately let.


There is a low-level 5amp lighting circuit in bedrooms and living rooms for which round-three pinned plugs are required.  

5 amp plug for lighting

5 amp plug for lighting

This enables you to control lighting plugged into the round-pin electrical points by way of the light switch by the door.  


Each building has at least one goods lift and one passenger lift.  The goods lift is either  situated opposite two passenger lifts or on the left of a single passenger lift.  

All lifts are available for use as passenger lifts.  For the movement of goods, bulky items, building works etc only the goods lift should be used.  Residents accompanied by dogs must also ensure that they use the goods lift.

To help prevent damage to the structure and operation of the lifts, with the associated inconvenience and costs, please:  

  • Request the 'lift hold' key from your Concierge to enable the lift door to be held open for prolonged periods while being loaded/unloaded.

  • Inform your Concierge if you intend to use the goods lift for large items/removals to enable protective drapes to be put into place.

  • Ensure the weight limit of the lift is not exceeded.

  • Do not jam the lift doors open/prevent them from closing. This will damage the mechanism and potentially put the lift out of operation.

If the lift breaks down while you are in it, please press the remote elevator monitoring system, which will immediately connect you to the security office who will raise the alarm and ensure that you are released from the lift as soon as possible. 

The lifts are maintained by Otis in accordance with a 30-year service contract that commenced in September 1999 when the lifts were installed.    

Moving in (and out)

Please let the Concierge know the dates and times of your planned arrival or departure and that of your removal company.  This will help with arranging access to the building and identifying any practical issues such as access to the Loading Bay, scheduled goods lift maintenance, the handling of bulky items or site restrictions.  The concierge will also ensure the goods lift is ready for use on the day and provide you with the ‘lift hold key’ to enable the lift doors to be kept open for loading.

Moving checklist

Please provide the Concierge with the following information: 

  • Your name and contact details (mobile telephone and email).

  • Date you will be moving in/out.

  • Details of who has permission to access your apartment.

  • Names and details of any contractors you have scheduled.

  • Details of your removal company.

Noise and disturbance

Living at Canary Riverside entitles all residents to the quiet enjoyment of their property.   Please be considerate towards your neighbours and keep noise to a minimum, as continued disturbance can cause friction between residents.

Indoors, please play music, musical instruments, radios and televisions at a moderate volume so as not to be heard outside of your apartment.  Outdoors, please avoid creating noise on balconies and in the gardens.  Please note that the playing of ball games is not permitted on the estate.

If you are disturbed by excessive noise from neighbours, please report this to Concierge (or Security).  In most cases a conversation between neighbours will resolve the situation.  The ARMA advice note on noisy neighbours can be found here.  

It is important to report all incidents so that a complete record can be kept of noise and anti-social behaviour, particularly if there has been a need to contact the police and/or Tower Hamlets Council.   

Noisy works: Please consider your neighbours when undertaking noisy works within your apartment, and try to give immediate neighbours (i.e., on your floor and the floor immediately above/below) and the concierge notice that such works will be taking place.  This will enable them to reschedule their plans if necessary (e.g., not work from home that day).  

Noise from drilling/banging/sanding etc can reverberate through the ducting and affect a large number of apartments.  It's helpful to ensure your concierge knows of your plans, to enable them to advise residents what the noise is and how long it is expected to last.    

Noisy works (use of heavy or electric equipment such as hammers and drills) are  only permitted between the hours of 9am to 1pm and 2pm to 5pm Monday to Friday and between 9am and 12 pm on Saturdays. 

Parkgate Aspen

Parkgate Aspen is the managing agent with day to day management responsibility for Canary Riverside.

Contact details for Parkgate Aspen staff are as follows:

Property Manager: Jonathan Weisrose - / 020 8732 8923

Staff Management: Phillip Cove - / 020 8732 8950

Credit Control: Paul Smith - / 020 8732 8918

Direct Debit/Standing Orders: Denise Mallalieu - / 020 8732 8920

All other accounting queries to Maureen Nedd - / 020 8732 8917

Electricity billing: Clever Energy -


Canary Riverside

Please see car park for detailed information about the Canary Riverside car park. 

  • Please ensure you park in the correct parking space, which may not have the same number as your apartment.

  • Should you find an unknown vehicle in your space please notify the Concierge, who may be able to locate the offender. Please place a polite notice on the vehicle windscreen advising that the vehicle is incorrectly parked.

  • Please do not leave your vehicle anywhere other than in your parking space, and keep the entrances and routes through the car park clear.

  • There are no visitor spaces in the Canary Riverside car park. Visitors/contractors must therefore either use your space (if available, and height restrictions allow) or park in the pay-to-park public car park on level P2. Rates are displayed at the car park entrance, and visitors must display their ticket and pay at the self-pay machines before exiting the car park.

  • Please note that stays of less than 20 minutes (e.g., for taxi drop-off/pick up or deliveries) are free.

Canary Wharf car parks

Additional pay-to-park parking facilities are available in the Canary Wharf estate.  See here for more details. 


Residents must have specific prior permission granted by the landlord in order to keep any pet in their apartment.  Owners wishing to have a pet must apply for permission from the landlord: and must provide a copy of the licence granted by the landlord to their concierge.

Approved pets must be kept within their owner’s apartment and not allowed to roam around the estate.  They should not be allowed in communal areas (such as hallways, gardens, terraces and the car park) at any time without the owner being present, and must be kept on a lead/in a cage as appropriate.  

If you own a dog you must:

  • Keep it on a lead at all times whilst within the estate;

  • Ensure that it does not foul the communal areas, walkways or gardens.  This includes urinating on the lawn or anywhere within the boundaries of the estate.  Any accidents must be immediately cleaned up.  

  • Use the goods lift when taking it to/from your apartment.  

  • Not leave it unattended on your balcony.

Please ensure that your pet does not disturb other residents.   Permits may be revoked if pets create a nuisance, and may be withdrawn at any time by the landlord without a reason being given.

Please note: Rental tenants are not permitted to keep pets. 

Post and packages


Post is delivered by Royal Mail to each residential apartment via the individual post boxes situated in the post rooms located in the ground floor lobbies.   Residents access their post boxes with a key.  

Individual post boxes are a lessees' responsibility to maintain.  If your post box requires repair you will need to contact a locksmith such as MJB Mailbox solutions.  


Items too large for the post boxes are delivered to the Concierge.  A notice is displayed on the concierge desk detailing apartments with packages for collection.  

If you are expecting a large parcel or a delivery e.g. a kitchen appliance, you must be at home to receive it.  There is not sufficient storage space available to enable the Concierges to receive overs-sized items or hold bulky items over a long period of time.  


Please refer to Alterations


Please rinse out dirty containers before recycling.

Further information on what is and isn't recycled by Tower Hamlets council can be found here.  

recycling tips

recycling tips


A chute room is located on every floor for the disposal of domestic refuse.  Do's and don'ts to prevent blockages to the chute or congestion in the chute room include:

  • Only use pedal bin sized bags (approx. 15 litres).

  • Never place bulky items such as cardboard boxes, glass, wood or any other large object down the chute which could result in a blockage

  • Do not leave items of rubbish or recycling on the floor of the chute room. This is a fire hazard. It may also prevent access to the chute and recycling bins by your neighbours.

  • If your rubbish does not fit down the chute or in the recycling bins it must be taken down to P1 for collection - see Bulky items above.

  • Recycle as much as possible.

  • Use the waste disposal unit (if fitted) in your apartment to dispose of food waste.

  • Wrap up any broken glass securely before disposing of as it may be manhandled from the bins by our waste operatives, and could cause serious injury.

Resident's handbook

A scanned copy of the original resident's handbook issued to original buyers back in 2000 can be found here.  It is very out of date but may still be useful for some queries.  The website aims to become a virtual handbook.  


Security Office: 020 7516 0103

Security officers are on duty 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.   They operate from the security office located on the left side of the main entrance, from where the CCTV, access control and security is carefully monitored, and also patrol around the estate. 

During Concierge working hours (7am - 7pm), the Concierge is a residents' first port of call for any security or estate matter.  Between 7pm and 7am residents can contact security by:

  • Pressing the “doorman button” marked by a dot on the apartment entry-phone.

  • Telephoning the security office on 020 7516 0103

  • In person by going to the window booth of the security office at the main gate.

The estate has been designed to be secure.  Please take care to ensure that doors are properly shut when entering or leaving the buildings and gardens, and be aware of people following you in through doors and gates.  

To maintain the estate's security please do not allow anyone to enter whom you do not recognise - refer them to the Security office, or to the Concierge.  

Selling your flat

When selling your flat you should contact Chris Christou at CREM (the landlord) to ask for a ‘seller's pack’, for which there will be an administration charge payable. You will first be asked to pay any outstanding service charges on your account before the sales pack can be issued.

Please email: and copy your email to Parkgate Aspen:

The sellers pack is sometime referred to as the LPE1 'leasehold properties enquiry' form, and comprises a standard set of information about your flat and Canary Riverside, including:

Please be aware that if non-standard queries are raised by a purchaser's solicitor additional administration charges may be levied by CREM/Parkgate Aspen.

Once the sale is complete the new assignment of the lease must then be arranged.  This ensures the new owner will be responsible for the service charge accounts and payment of future service charges and electricity bills, per the lease.  Please contact and copy your email to Parkgate Aspen.

Service charge

** Please see News item dated 3rd September for information on the demands sent in respect of the service charge payable on 1st October 2019 **

The Service Charge represents the cost of services provided at Canary Riverside for the benefit of Leaseholders (residential and commercial). The percentage payable by each Leaseholder is set out in their Lease, and is calculated according to the area demised as a percentage of the total demised areas.    

The Service Charge year runs from 1st April to 31st March.  Leaseholders are invoiced bi-annually in advance, and equal payments are due on the 1st April and 1st October of each year.  

A detailed budget is provided to Leaseholders together with their service charge demand.  The 2019/20 service charge budget can be found here and a copy of the accompanying guidance notes here.

The Service Charge includes the costs of:

  • Water (hot and cold supply) *

  • Cooling *

  • Gas (supplied to apartments with gas hobs) *

  • Concierges and security staff

  • Estate cleaners

  • Communal lighting

  • Landscape gardening

  • Buildings insurance

  • Lift maintenance

  • Mechanical and electrical maintenance

  • Reserves (provision for replacement of major items)

Typically residents in other developments pay these charges in addition to their service charge. At Canary Riverside, the only utility billed directly to residents is electricity.  

For lessees interested in how the apportionment of estate services across residential, car park and commercial tenants was determined, please see the report produced by Gross Fine in 2004 here.  

Annual Service Charge Accounts

Service charge accounts are produced annually, ideally within six months of the year-end.  A copy of the accounts is sent to each Leaseholder together with a statement of account.

If there has been an overspend (against the estimated service charge budget) the account will show that a balancing payment is due for payment (within 14 days).  In the event that actual expenditure was lower than the budgeted estimate upon which the Service Charge demands were base, a balancing credit will be applied to the Leaseholder's account, which will partially offset the next due payment on account.  

A copy of the 2019 accounts can be found here, the 2018 accounts here, and the 2017 accounts here.

The Lease sets out further information on the Service Charges.  Leaseholders should check their own apartment’s Lease for confirmation of the percentage payable via the Service Charge. 

Short-term lets

Under the terms of the lease short term sub-letting of anything less than 180 days (6 months), is strictly prohibited.  This includes AirBnB. 

Site staff

Site staff are provided by Parkgate Aspen, the managing agent, and are either directly employed or contractors working on behalf of HML. If you have any comments or feedback on the staff, please contact Parkgate Aspen.  

  • Assistant property manager: Keely Skelson is based on site in the security office.

  • Concierges: there is a concierge located at a desk in each of the four buildings to assist residents. See Concierge. Please note that there are periods when the concierge may need to leave their desk, eg, break times, building patrols and assisting residents. Your patience is requested during these times: alternatively, please contact the concierge in your neighbouring building.

  • Security: security staff are present on site 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. They operate from the security office located on the left side of the main entrance, from where the CCTV, access control and security is carefully monitored.

  • Estate operatives: on site throughout the week, they are responsible for managing the refuse disposal and recycling, and cleaning the external areas.

  • Cleaners: on site Monday - Saturday, the cleaning staff look after the internal common areas, eg, lobbies and lift areas, and are responsible for taking the re

Smoke alarms

Your apartment is fitted with mains powered smoke detectors, with battery back-up to ensure safe operation in the event of a power failure.  The operation of these alarms should be checked on a regular basis.  A battery that requires replacement will emit a regular 'chirruping' sound.   

In addition to the smoke detectors visible in your entrance hallway and bedroom(s), there are additional smoke detectors located in the ceiling voids that are connected to the FCUs.  To access these smoke detectors please see the section on Heating).   Please note: on no account should these smoke detectors be decommissioned: their purpose is to cut off power to the FCUs in the event of a fire, preventing the rapid circulation of toxic smoke and fumes.


Smoking is not permitted within the lobbies and common areas, lifts, car park or gardens.

On no account should cigarettes, lit or otherwise, be discarded from balconies, terraces  or windows.  Such actions pose a significant fire risk. There have been numerous past incidents whereby residents have discovered discarded cigarettes burning carpets or curtains, and a balcony fire in Eaton House.   

Stopcocks, gas and electrical mains switches

We recommend that you check the location of the gas, electricity and water supplies into your apartment.  

lever for chilled water supply, located outside front door via ceiling hatch.

lever for chilled water supply, located outside front door via ceiling hatch.

Water (four pipes: hot and cold, chilled water and return flow) is located in the ceiling panel immediately outside your front door.   Each water service is clearly identified on the pipework.  Hot water is marked 'HWS', with red band, and cold water is marked 'CWS' with a blue band.  These valves are closed when the handle is at 90 degrees to the pipe. 

If you plan to be away for extended periods of time, it is recommended that you turn off the water supplies to your apartment, in order to minimise the risk of leaks occurring in your absence.  

Gas is usually located by removing the kitchen drawers near to the gas hob

Electrical mains switch and circuit breakers can be found in a metal cabinet usually located in a hall cupboard. 

Television and satellite

Communal aerial and satellite systems provide TV signals including Sky.  If you experience problems with the signal please check other aerial/satellite outlets in your apartment and the aerial distribution board (normally located in a hall cupboard).   If the problem persists please contact the Concierge. 

Signal booster

If your terrestrial TV signal works in your living room but not in the bedroom it is likely that you will need to replace the signal booster that is located in the aerial distribution box.  

The installation of private satellite dishes and external aerials is not permitted. 

Please ensure you have a valid TV licence.  

Water hardness

We live in a hard water area, which means taps and shower heads will be prone to limescale build-up, which in turn affects water pressure.  Limescale can also block inlet pipes to washing machines and dishwashers, with limescale deposits blocking the filters on the end of the pipe (connecting to the water source).

Taps usually have removal filters on them that can be removed (e.g. with a spanner - carefully so as not to damage the chrome finish) and cleaned.  Advice on how to clean the original Grohe taps can be found here, and shower heads here.  

You can check the hardness of your water by going to the Thames water website.  

Dishwashers and salt

Due to the hardness of the cold water it is advisable to add salt to the salt container in your dishwasher even if you are using dishwasher tablets that contain salt.  Please check your dishwasher manual for instructions on where the salt container is in your model.  

Water leaks

Water leaks are the most common cause of damage in apartment blocks and it is in the interest of all residents to minimise the risk of leaks occurring.  As well as the inconvenience and damage caused, frequent leaks will mean higher Building Insurance premiums and excesses, which results in higher service charges.  

ARMA has produced a useful guidance note on how to prevent water leaks in your flat, and LEASE adviser Nadeem Hussain discusses how to deal with a water leak in a leasehold flat here. 

You might also consider installing small water leak detector/alarms such as these to give you an early-warning of problems with in-built toilet cisterns, washing machines etc before serious damage occurs. 

Water leaks should be taken very seriously: all owners and residents have a responsibility to help prevent leaks and promptly identify and resolve them before significant damage is caused.


The chilled water that enables comfort cooling in your apartment is carried through a network of pipes that are securely insulated to prevent condensation forming.  In addition, there is a drainage outlet in the FCU that allows condensation created during operation of the cooling system to be safely drained away.  

It is residents' responsibility to ensure that they prevent any damage to the chilled pipe insulation, and that their FCUs are regularly maintained to ensure the condensation drain is clear.  Just a one inch opening in the pipe insulation will cause a significant a volume of condensation to form, which if left unchecked would lead to serious water damage in neighbouring apartments.  

Emergency shut-off

The levers to turn off the hot, cold and chilled water supplies can be found in the ceiling panel immediately outside your apartment front door.  In the event of a leak being discovered that requires a water supply to be isolated you should turn off the appropriate supply to your apartment immediately and before contacting a plumber.  If you are in any doubt, please contact your Concierge or Security.   

Water supply

The cost of the water supply to your apartment is included within your service charge: there is no separate payment (ie, to Thames Water) for water and drainage.  

Emergency shut-off

The levers to turn off the hot, cold and chilled water supplies can be found in the ceiling panel immediately outside your apartment front door.  In the event of a leak being discovered that requires a water supply to be isolated you should turn off the appropriate supply to your apartment immediately and before contacting a plumber.  If you are in any doubt, please contact your Concierge or Security.   

Window and door handles

Window and balcony door handles need to be maintained to prevent them from seizing up.  Residents should regularly lubricate the mechanism on doors and handles using a suitable lubricant such as a silicon lubricant spray.   If a handle shows signs of stiffness do not force it, and ensure it has been lubricated and eased before using.  

Silicone lubricants are the best tool for the job. There are several on the market, and our local Robert Dyas sells WD-40 high performance silicone.

A quick whizz round your flat spraying all of the moving parts and opening/closing a couple of times should help ensure that the windows/doors and their handles don’t seize up and break. A stitch in time…